Friday, July 16, 2010

Greg Millar - Logo for Papal visit

As you may remember Greg left Redbee Media at the end of last year, and has been busy freelancing since then.

When I caught up with him recently he told me about an unusual logo design project that got him a write up in the Daily Mail! – Not many motion designers I know can say that about themselves!

The reason for appealing to this bastion of middle England was because he successfully pitched to create a logo for the Pope's visit to Scotland in the autumn of 2010. It combines the Papal Cross and the St Andrew's cross with a quotation taken from an address given by Pope Benedict XVI at a seminary in New York in 2008.

They originally planned to use another logo created for the whole UK tour, but Greg approached them with the idea of using a separate image.  He told me " I put forward my idea for the Papal logo speculatively to the organising committee, not thinking I would hear back.  It's a huge honour, as a practising Catholic, I am delighted to be associated with the Holy Father's first Papal visit to Scotland since 1982"

I think it's a really clear piece of design - modern yet classy - shame that it will have only such a limited use.
What do you lot think?

No comments: