Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Christoph Niemann - I love this guy!

Every now and again I stray away from what's going on in broadcast graphics - this time I found out about this graphic artist called Christoph Niemann from a link my brother sent me.  He's in a totally un-media related industry, so I was quite surprised when he sent me something so tasteful.

Anyway the original link was to this blog that had all these mad imaginary maps that he had done - under the name of Abstract City.
after that I had a look around his site and saw that he is definitely not a one-trick pony - he's obviously been around for ages, and there is way too much of his stuff to post all of it here. Check out "gallery 6" and you will see all sorts of everyday stuff that he has drawn with a twist - one of my favourites is the 'Periodic Table of Metaphors" and the "art director/illustrator" translation table (below) that gives a translation of what they are really saying down the phone - sound familiar with any of you lot?

He's done a few simple animations, but no broadcast work that I can see. Turns out he's just moved to Berlin - If I ran a graphic design company I would definitely try and get him involved in some TV branding - he's got a great sense of humour and a really striking style.

The blurb on the New York Times blog says he has done lots of covers for The New Yorker, Newsweek, Wired, The New York Times Magazine and American Illustration. His work has won numerous awards from the American Institute of Graphic Arts, the Art Directors Club and American Illustration. His Web site is christophniemann.com.

No comments: